Cynthia de Lorenzi shares: No, it’s not exactly heart-healthy, but this Pecan Pie recipe is the southern family favorite that my vast clan has long enjoyed during the Thanksgiving holiday and Christmas season. It was passed down from my grandmother to my mother from an old Betty Croker cookbook that still lives in the family archives (aka a giant box in my basement). My husband Larry and kids always ask me when I will be baking the Pecan Pie — and making an extra one for leftovers.
What you’ll need:
- Pastry for 9-inch pie crust (Note: You can make one yourself, of course, but the store-bought version is quicker and often works just fine!
- For the filling:
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter or magazine melted
- 1 cup dark or light corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves or broken pecans
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pastry or open the package from the store-bought version.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, salt, butter, and syrup with a rotary beater.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into pastry pie pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let cool and enjoy!