Whether you are new to yoga, or have been practicing for years, Melanin & Yoga founder Johanna Reyes offers classes that are at once accessible, inspiring, and rejuvenating.
The RN and mother of four became a yoga instructor in 2016, and since then has build a loyal following at the many venues where she teaches around her hometown of Richmond, VA — and beyond. The video (above) by her son Damian, features her work at the historic Robinson Theater — located in the historical neighborhood of Church Hill.
Johanna insists: “We don’t just teach classes. We empower communities through education and information. We aren’t just yoga teachers. We are healthcare professionals that can help guide you toward your wellness goals. We aren’t just a local family owned business. We are here because we care about YOU and are invested in our community. We aren’t here to teach. We are here to learn and grow with you.”
8 Questions for Johanna Reyes
July 2020: The Inkandescent™ team first met Johanna in 2018 after she finished her teacher training with the company’s co-founder Anna Gibbs.
In the years since, we’ve watched Johanna’s company grow, and are thrilled to feature her! Stay tuned for our interview where Johanna will tell us about the following!
- What inspired you to create Melanin & Yoga?
- Your goal is to work with people who haven’t often been exposed to yoga. What type of feedback have you received?
- What is one of the best experiences you’ve had as a yoga teacher?
- What challenges do you face?
- How has the Black Lives Matter movement impacted your work?
- Melanin & Yoga also features teaching by your mom and daughter. Tell us about their impact on the company, and your students.
- Your mom has made several trips to Africa. Tell us about how her experience has impacted you.
- What are your goals and plans for the future — post COVID-19?
Stay tuned for our podcast interview, coming soon to InkandescentRadio.com.
Community Classes (to resume after the COVID-19 pandemic passes)
Every Monday, 6:30-7:30pm
Robinson Theater Community Arts Center $5/Drop In
Every Tuesday, 7-8pm
At Glendale Ruritan Club
Book a one-on-one or group yoga session, corporate or private group wellness and/or team building session, wellness consultation or just connect to find out more about what we are doing.