A Note from Marguerita Cheng, CFP® Pro — I invite you to tune in for today’s special episode of my podcast and video show, Margaritas with Marguerita, where for 15 minutes each Friday at 5:15 pm EST, we learn from industry experts how to flex our financial muscles live on Facebook.
You are going to love our guest: Meetup CEO David Siegel, author of Decide and Conquer
Rita asks David:
- Pivoting strategies: What did Meetup do when they couldn’t meet in person during the pandemic?
- What are some of the decision-making best practices you discuss in your book?
- Share your thoughts about the power and impact of community on business and life in general.
- Tell us about your path to becoming a tech CEO.
- What is your general approach to leadership, radical transparency, etc.?
About David: David Siegel is the CEO of Meetup, the largest platform for finding and building the local community. He has over 20 years of experience as a technology and digital media executive leading organizations through innovative product development, rapid revenue growth, and digital traffic acceleration. Prior to joining Meetup, David was CEO of Investopedia and before that, President of Seeking Alpha. David holds a BA in Philosophy, Politics & Economics and an MBA from the University of Pennsylvania. He is an adjunct professor at Columbia University where he teaches strategic planning and entrepreneurship. He hosts the podcast Keep Connected, which is dedicated to the power of community. David’s book, Decide & Conquer, (HarperCollins) lays out the framework for decision-making that leaders can use to ensure organizational and personal success.
About his new book: “Success boils down to one thing: making good decisions,” explains author David Siegel. “Learn the right framework now that can make all the difference later when faced with terrible options, deep anxiety, and fear of failure.”
Decide and Conquer helps all leaders navigate the big decisions that will impact their future and make their organizations a success. David outlines the 44 challenges leaders face when starting a new position, then shows you the decision framework he applied to overcome challenges in his own role. David takes you on an epic journey of corporate and personal survival that includes industry titans like Adam Neumann, Barry Diller, Jack Welch, Bill Ackman, and other leaders.
In Decide and Conquer, you will learn to:
- Apply principles like open communication, transparency, and kindness to inform great decision-making.
- Set yourself up to succeed, even before you start, by removing potential roadblocks before they become a problem.
- Be a bold and decisive leader and not succumb to fear.
By applying the principles he had learned in previous leadership positions, David was able to make the many critical decisions that would mean life or death for Meetup when WeWork decided to sell the company. From deciding to accept the position and negotiating terms to managing a seemingly endless series of crises during the sale and global pandemic, Decide and Conquer walks readers through the key decisions they will face with invaluable advice for each one. Click here to check out the book!