A Note from Hope Katz Gibbs, producer, Inkandescent Radio — Hello and welcome to our first episode of a new show on the Inkandescent Radio network — Money Mountaineering with actuary Peter Neuwirth, FSA, FCA — entitled What’s Your Future Worth? I’m Hope Katz Gibbs, producer of the podcast network InkandescentRadio.com, and I am thrilled to be here today with Pete!
About Pete: After graduating from Harvard College in 1979 with a degree in Mathematics and Linguistics, Pete went to work at Connecticut General Life Insurance (now CIGNA), and for the next 38 years, he worked continuously as an actuary holding significant leadership positions at a variety of firms around the country, including most of the major consulting firms (Aon, Hewitt Associates, Watson Wyatt, Towers Perrin and finally Towers Watson) as well as spending 5 years as a chief actuary at a regional benefits consulting firm (Godwins), 7 years running a small actuarial firm (Coates Kenney) and one year in a large accounting firm (Price Waterhouse).
At the end of 2016, Pete retired from Towers Watson to focus on writing and researching financial wellness issues. He had been focusing on financial wellness in earnest, and in 2015 Berrett-Kohler published his book “What’s Your Future Worth?” In the years since, he has been blogging about how the principles of Holistic Financial Wellness can be utilized to weather the economic crisis that has befallen us. And that led to his next book, “Money Mountaineering.”
In today’s episode, you will learn:
- Why Pete wrote his first book, “What’s Your Future Worth?”
- What inspired him to follow up with “Money Mountaineering”
- How his days at Harvard inspired him to become an actuary
- How he was influenced by his father, Lee Neuwirth, a mathematician at Princeton
- How the 2020 fires in California changed his life, and what he learned from “losing everything”
- You’ll also learn about Pete’s research with colleague Barry Sacks and his brother Stephen, and the paper published by the Conference of Consulting Actuaries entitled, “Retirement Planning: Generating Lifetime Income Leaving a Legacy and the Components of Net Worth Throughout Retirement Published by the Conference of Consulting Actuaries”
- And you’ll discover the power of Reverse Mortgages and what Pete, Barry, and their colleague at Mutual of Omaha, Mary Jo Lafaye, are doing to educate more seniors about how to thrive in retirement
Don’t miss this episode, and stay tuned for the October show when Pete will interview Barry H. Sacks Ph.D. JD Reverse Mortgage/Retirement Portfolio Longevity Expert. Click here to learn more.
Visit Pete’s website: PeterNeuwirth.com.
And also check out his TV show: PeterNeuwirth.tv.